The River Forest Tennis Club has dozens of singles and doubles competitive tennis events and social tennis events. As an Active Member or Adult Privilege Holder, players can come out and join the competition and fun. A tournament is a series that takes place over the course of several weeks, while games are played in a single day.
Tournaments - July and September/Labor Day
The Club holds annual doubles and singles tournaments for all levels of competitive play as follows:
- “A” Level – Advanced Players
- “B” Level – Intermediate Players
- “C” Level – Beginner Level Players
All are welcome to sign up for tournament play - there is a tournament for every skill level and participation is highly encouraged! If you are interested in participating in a doubles tournament but don't have a partner, the tournament committee is happy to help.
There are: 1) July Tournaments which begin in June and finish in mid July; and 2) September/Labor Day Tournaments that begin in July and end Labor Day Weekend.
- The July Tournaments include Women's A Doubles, Women's B Doubles, Women's C Doubles, Women's Veteran Doubles (age 50+), Men's A Doubles, Men's B Doubles, Men's C Doubles, Men's Super Vet Doubles (age 60+), Men's Veteran Singles (age 50+), Men's Deep C Doubles, Men's Deep C Singles, Women's Deep C Doubles, and Women's Deep C Singles.
- 2022 Finalists and Winners:
- Men’s As: Finalists: Chris Fasano and Carter Kirk/Winners: Dan Arends and Mike O’Connor
- Men’s Bs: Finalists: Nick VanDerSchie and Jeff Veazie/Winner: John Stoffer and Kyle Williams
- Men’s Cs: Finalists: Steve Druckman and Dan Lundak/Winners: Ron Krause and Jim Culliton
- Men’s Super Vet: Finalists: Bill Brander and Pete Brecknock/Winners: Dave Martin and Dave Martin
- Mens Vet Singles: Finalist: Dave C Martin/Winner: Dave A Martin
- Women’s As: Finalists: Sue Arends and Kitty Martin/ Winner: Camille Hoover and Gayle Rudman
- Women’s Cs: Finalists: Julie Fleisch and Shannon Wasiolek/Winners: Katie Iammartino and Amy Kurtz
- Women’s Deep Cs: Finalists: Julianne Heiniman and Jessica Mefford/Winners: Julie Fleisch and Michelle Jackson
- Women’s Vets: Finalists: Katie Jones and Marika Panton/Winners: Sue Arends and Jane McCole
- The September/Labor Day Tournaments for men are: Men A Singles, B Singles, C Singles, Open Singles, Super Vet Singles, Open Doubles, Veteran Open Doubles, and Mixed Doubles. The tournaments for women are: A Singles, B Singles, C Singles, Open Singles, Veteran Singles, Open Doubles, and Mixed Doubles.
- If you have too many commitments, do NOT sign up for the tournaments. We try to complete the tournaments by set dates, so that we can have a club “viewing” event.
- If you sign up for the Labor Day Tourneys please plan to be around Labor Day weekend to play in the finals.
- Seeding: following USTA suggestions, the tournament committee aims for 1 seed per every 4 entrants in a bracket. In making the brackets, the committee has members most familiar with the various groups weigh in on the seeding. We recognize it’s not perfect, but it’s the best we can do. The remainder of the bracket is completed by random draw.
- For the singles events, you can sign up for both the Open and a A, B, C event, but please do not sign up for more than one A, B, C event.
- Draws will be distributed the week of 7/25 with the finals over Labor Day Weekend (9/3 - 9/5).
- Deep C Classification: You are permitted to sign up for the Deep C and the C tournament. Please know the Deep C is intended for players that have not made it past the second round of the C tournament.
New for this season, our junior tennis program will be offering three end of season tournaments — a green ball tournament, and then two yellow ball tournaments, one for 14 and under, and another for 18 and under. The championship matches will be held over Labor Day weekend. These tournaments will be managed by John Morlidge and Dara Keiden and are intended for any JT participants, RFTC members’ children and privilege holders. All participants will need to have advanced to green ball for the green ball tournament and yellow ball for the yellow ball tournament
Please reach out to John Morlidge (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dara Keiden (email@example.com) with any questions or if you’d like to sign up your child(ren).
Class versus class. Fight to the death (ok, maybe not that last part).
Winner: Class of 2016 (Matt Heintz and Garrett Olson)
Runners Up: Class of 2018 (Jody Schwartz and Carter Kirk)
Winner: Class of 2019 (Helen Lee and Maria Galli)
Runners Up: Class of 2017 (Camille Hoover and Leigh Armstrong)
Similar to other RFTC tournaments, the Classy is played over several weeks and you can expect to play matches from 8/16 - 9/23 if you progress through this single elimination tournament. Championship matches are targeted for Saturday, 9/23.
Email Greg Embree for details!