July 4, 1905
River Forest residents Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Lozier, Mr. Montgomery Picket, and Mr. George Turner met with Mr. and Mrs. Harry Richardson, Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Treadway, and Mr. Farlin Ball of Oak Park, to discuss the feasibility of organizing a club that would be both social and athletic in nature. Annual dues were set at $15.
Mr. E. A. Cummings allowed the group to use the north half of the parcel of land at Lake, Harlem, Quick and Bonnie Brae for as long as he retained control. Six grass courts were laid out with chicken-wire backstops. A simple clubhouse was built under the direction of Albert L. Goetzman just two months after the Club was organized at a cost of $1,100. It was formally opened on July 4, 1905.
August 8, 1906
Fire destroyed first structure in August and Frank Lloyd Wright supervised the building of what is now the west two-thirds of our present clubhouse. It was rushed to completion at a cost of $2,629.75. Kitchen facilities were added for picnic suppers, which were prepared by the ladies and served by the men. Coffee was five cents per cup. Homegrown talent shows became popular, the ring leaders being Lew Lozier, Harry Noyes, Bert Kerr, and Elias Day.
June 8, 1920
When the Cook County Forest Preserve Commission acquired the land we occupied at Quick and Bonnie Brae, the Club purchased a vacant parcel at 615 Lathrop for $34,900. The original clubhouse was cut into three sections and moved it to its new foundation. Ten clay courts were constructed; trees and shrubs were added to the grounds.
The embargo against Sunday tennis was lifted. Membership capacity was increased to better fund maintenance of the larger facility.
June 8, 1935
The United States Lawn Tennis Association awarded the National Clay Court Championships to the River Forest Tennis Club, where it remained nearly every year until 1966.
June 8, 1937
A modest swimming pool was constructed, to be replaced in 1955 by a much larger pool.
June 8, 1963
Clay courts were replaced by the more durable Har-Tru surface, which dried more quickly after heavy rainstorms.
The Club was also home to the most prestigious tournament in greater Chicago, the USTA sanctioned River Forest Junior Invitational Tournament. This event hosted many well-known tennis players over the years.
May 9, 1968
Additions to the clubhouse added facilities for the manager's office, locker rooms, a canteen and pro shop.
May 9, 1970
A well was installed for an above-ground court irrigation system.
May 9, 1983
The Girls 18 National Clay Courts Championships were held at RFTC.
May 9, 1992
By-law changes allowed female members the privilege to vote and serve on the Board of Directors.